Frequently Asked Questions
Graft A Lash FAQ’s
This is the million-dollar question and as lash artists, we get asked it daily.
The correct answer is that an eyelash extension will last the lifecycle of the natural eyelash. Once that natural eyelash grows out too far and falls out, a new lash grows close behind it and the cycle starts again. For each person and each eyelash, this cycle is different.
A lifecycle from start to finish that is uninterrupted (meaning no rubbing, no sleeping on and no shedding) would last 90 days or approximately three months.
However, it is almost impossible not to touch, rub or cause movement to the eye, contributing to the shedding process. Therefore, we usually say lash extensions will need to be infilled every two to six weeks.
Clients with fast-growing hair cycles may need to see their lash artist every two weeks. Others, however, may have slower growing lash cycles and only need to visit every three to five weeks. As lash cycles differ between people, clients should find an experienced lash artist they can trust.
All our lashes are made with high quality silk fibre.
So light you can’t feel them
½ to 1hr depending on the amount of lashes required.
We generally don’t recommend using mascara on lash extensions, mainly because clients don’t clean their extensions properly or may use the incorrect formula. This can damage the lashes and cause extensions to fall off.
However, if you must, you can wear mascara, but it must not be waterproof! Waterproof mascara requires oils for it to be successfully removed. Oils break down the bond of the eyelash extension glue causing them to fall off so must be avoided.
Graft-a-lash specially formulated mascara
At Graft-A-Lash we all have clients who just love their mascara and cannot stand leaving it off their lashes no matter how beautiful they look with extensions. So, we made our own water-based mascara, specifically for extensions. With no oils or harmful chemicals, its superior ultra-light watery consistency glides through lash extensions, giving them a light coating of mascara without clumping and damaging extensions.
First and foremost, do not get your eyelashes wet until 24 hours after they have been done. That means NO swimming, showering and sweating. It also means that you should avoid applying products near your lashes, such as makeup and sunscreen.
After the initial 24 hour aftercare instructions have been followed you can resume your normal régime. Brush your eyelashes as much as you like with a small brush or disposable mascara wand. If you don’t have these, ask your lash artist for one to take home each time.
- Do not play with your lash extensions
- Do not pick or pull at the lashes
- Do not use any oily products on the lashes
- Be sure to only use water-based products on the eyelashes
- Have regular infills to keep the lashes looking at their optimum.
You may have a lash tint, prior to grafting.
There are risks associated with all skin treatments and associated treatments. It is the duty of the trained technician to explain the treatment to you in full before proceeding. Risks are at a minimum when lashes are grafted by a certified technician.
22-26 degrees, 50-70% humidity . Store in a cool dry place away from heat and light.
GAL glue has a 6 month shelf life if kept at the correct temp and humidity (see FAQ above) Be sure to wipe the nib of your glue after each use to avoid cap sticking and blocking tube.
Contact Graft-A-Lash head office here
Four signs you might want eyelash extensions yourself
- You might have weak or fine natural eyelashes. Eyelash extensions add volume and thickness.
- Maybe you have short natural lashes that are barely seen. Eyelash extensions will allow you to choose from multiple lengths, making your lashes more noticeable.
- You may have flat (straight) or downward-facing natural eyelashes. Eyelash extensions, when done correctly, wrap around your natural eyelashes, lifting them up and adding curl.
- Your natural eyelashes are long, but sparse, spread out, or have gaps in them. Extensions add thickness to your natural lashes. Applying extensions the same length as your natural eyelashes will add volume and thickness and fill in gaps and spaces between your natural eyelashes. The Volume technique, in particular, creates lashes that can be spread and fanned out across gaps and sparse spots along the lash line. This creates the illusion of thicker, fuller lashes
- Longer lifespan. If you take good care of your eyelash extensions, they will remain thicker, darker, longer and healthier for much longer. This is because there is less fall-out and therefore fewer fills, which saves you money.
- Hygiene. If you cleanse or shampoo your extensions daily, you will remove most of the dirt, sweat, makeup and oil that can run down into your eyelash extensions and lash line. This causes a build up that can create irritation and possibly infection.
- Appearance. By brushing lashes into place two to three times a day they will sit up nice and high, hold curl and look great. Brushing also helps with the lash cycle and fall-out; by brushing your extensions you stimulate the lash line and help promote healthy natural lash growth.
- Cost. By taking good care of your lashes you require fewer infills, saving you money in the long run. If you pull, twist or fail to clean your lash extensions and lash line, your extensions will fall out faster meaning you’ll need more frequent infills.
While we do not recommend using mascara on eyelash extensions, we are aware that some clients will do this regardless! Here are our thoughts on what to do if you choose to use mascara:
- Use water-based mascara. Because we understand our clients, Graft A Lash has developed a mostly water-based mascara made specifically for eyelash extensions. This formula will glide through your extensions with ease, it won’t cause clumping and it contains no added fibres or hard-to-remove materials.
- Use a water-based cleanser. Water-based mascara is the only formula recommended for extensions, as it is easy to remove with water-based cleanser, lash shampoo or oil-free eye makeup remover. Graft A Lash stocks all preferred products.
- What about oil-based mascara? If you choose to use an oil-based mascara, however, you will need an oil-based remover to clean your eyelash extensions. Only oil will loosen the glue, break the bonding and cause extensions to fall off.
If you must apply mascara, keep it to a minimum, or when you’re ready for infills. In this last scenario, it coats mostly your natural eyelashes instead of your extensions.
This answer is simple: YOU DO NOT! Eyes must be completely closed during the eyelash grafting procedure; therefore since you can’t see to apply the extensions, you must never attempt this procedure on yourself!
If you would like extensions applied, find a reputable professional lash artist with good experience and up-to-date training and certification. Make an appointment and relax for an hour or two, enjoying having your extensions applied.
Do not ever attempt this on yourself, or allow any untrained person to apply lash extensions to your lashes. The only exception to this – if you are looking for great dramatic eyelashes for a special occasion – is you could try strip ‘Party’ lashes. You can safely apply these yourself. They are made for one-off use and can be applied by anyone, with little, or no, experience. This may give you what you’re looking for your special occasion.
Yes, they are, if done correctly!
Natural eyelashes – like all hair – have a growth cycle. They will grow out and shed during this cycle – with, or without, extensions applied. If a professional, trained, highly skilled lash artist applies eyelash extensions you can be confident they are safe. A skilled professional will look at your natural eyelashes closely and assess their health, thickness, length, spacing and curl, as well as the surrounding skin.
They will then choose and place only the appropriate weight, curl and length to your natural eyelashes to avoid any long-term damage. They will also use the appropriate amount of glue to bond the extensions to your natural eyelashes for longevity, without adding any extra weight.